Promoting the cultural vibrancy that has become Beacon, New York’s trademark is our mission at BeaconArts, a nonprofit organization founded in 2002 to organize, promote and nurture the city’s multi-faceted arts community.
“Over the past decade, the town has gone from sleepy working-class community to popular weekend getaway… farm-to-table restaurants, world-class art… all within a leisurely afternoon’s walking distance.” – Condé Nast Traveler
“And through the influx of galleries, craft beer breweries, organic food shops and more, the town has harmoniously kept its industrial character while also preserving the natural beauty of the Hudson Valley… Beacon has it all!” – Design*Sponge
BeaconArts has nearly 160 artist members and 90 business members. Second Saturday, organized and promoted collaboratively between the two, draws hundreds of visitors over two days each month.
Citywide events draw thousands to Beacon, New York, from the tri-state region and beyond: Beacon Open Studios, Windows on Main Street, Beacon Independent Film Festival, Keys to the City and Beacon 3D, and more are happening every day. As fiscal sponsor of these grassroots projects, BeaconArts is intrinsically involved in their planning and promotion.
Here’s what else we do:
- Publish and distribute an illustrated, annotated map of Beacon four times a year for galleries and business members, distributed throughout the city and beyond.
- Serve as Beacon’s ad hoc advertising agency, publicity agent and tour guide, working closely with Arts Mid-Hudson, Dutchess County Tourism and a variety of publications to ensure that Beacon is literally on the maps as a destination in the Hudson Valley.
- We are fiscal sponsors of the Beacon Arts and Education Foundation a coalition of parents, educators, businesses and other organizations that raise funds for enhanced art programming and other special opportunities for the students of the Beacon City School District.
BeaconArts is the artery through which much of the city’s creative efforts flow and manifest, with expenses offset mostly by business owners and arts minded individuals who recognize the economic value in supporting local arts and culture.
Our mission is to enable artists to continue to live and work here by promoting their projects to a larger audience. Indeed, a wonderfully diverse array of new restaurants, bars and independent businesses are opening here all the time, but what sets Beacon apart from other Hudson Valley towns is our legacy as a home for artists and makers.
General membership meetings are held (mostly) monthly on the last Wednesday of every month; information regarding the meetings is distributed via the This Week in Beacon newsblast and beaconarts.org. You can also view past meeting minutes, financial reports and information about upcoming meetings here.
2017 BeaconArts Board of Directors
Vice President: Theresa Goodman
Treasurer: Aaron Verdile
Secretary: Erica Hauser
Members at Large: Pamela Dailey, Sommer Hixson, Gwenno James, Terry Nelson, Rick Rogers.
Past BeaconArts Presidents: Dan Rigney, Linda T. Hubbard, Sara Pasti, Ricardo Diaz
Additional BeaconArts Team Members:
- Bookkeeper: Patricia Vitacco
- Membership Coordinator: Kelly Ellenwood
- “This Week in Beacon” Editor/Social Media Manager: email@example.com
- Website Development: Randy Caruso
- Communications Partner: North Road Communications (Marist College)
PO Box 727, Beacon, NY 12508
380 Main Street, Suite 1A, Beacon, NY 12508
Thanks to our Media Sponsor:
BeaconArts is a member of:
- Art Along the Hudson www.artalongthehudson.com
- Arts MidHudson (formerly Dutchess County Arts Council) www.artsmidhudson.org
- The Beacon Chamber of Commerce www.beaconchamber.com
- Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce www.dcrcoc.org
Our programs and projects are made possible in part through funding from Dutchess Tourism, Inc. and administered by Arts Mid-Hudson.